New Ford Book | The Cars You Always Promised Yourself (Collector's)
The Collector's Edition is sold out, please click on the following link to view the Classic Edition.
How Ford designed, engineered and marketed the fastest Fords
"After more than 30 years in the car industry, and having started out at Ford, I felt that enthusiasts deserved to be taken inside the design studios and engineering centres to see and hear first-hand what happened as the iconic RS cars, XRs and the Capri were born."
The Cars You Always Promised Yourself – Collector's edition is a very special version of a unique book about Ford's exceptional vehicles and glamorous coupes that covers 50 years of Ford’s design, engineering and marketing.
Ford gave the author unique access to their secret design archives and he spoke to many of Ford’s legendary leaders from the ‘70s, ‘80s and ‘90s. Former Ford chairman Bob Lutz, famous design director Patrick le Quément and Rod Mansfield - the leader of Special Vehicle Engineering - have all written forewords. Over 85 per cent of the hundreds of images have never been seen before; design sketches, prototypes and wind tunnel models, RS Coupe, Sierra design alternatives, Escort & Focus design sketches and previously-secret prototypes.
The Collector's Edition is the book you always promised yourself and contains many extra features:
- Individually numbered and signed by the author
- Large-format 10.75-inch by 10.75-inch full colour slipcase box illustrated with the feature cars
Over 300 pages, including an extended-length additional chapter
- Designers mark up the beautiful artwork of the cars – the standard and most collectable version are compared and discussed.
- Read the back story behind their design.
- Patrick le Quément explains his love of stripes and why the famous designer of the Sierra, Cortina and Capri thinks we need to appreciate them more.
- Unique cover illustrations featuring the most collectable fast Fords, RS1700T, Racing Puma, Capri RS3100, Sierra RS500 and more
- Fold-out poster – specially-commissioned hand-drawn illustration of the featured 15 standard and most collectable Fords